Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green's function for Parabolic PDEs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Numerical Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Green's function for Parabolic PDEs
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is given here

http://datasimfinancial.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101

and in the thesis of Roelof Sheppard
davidpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Is this the issue more that you can tell me?Is there a good source for reading about different options for handling the cross derivative term? All texts that I have seen avoid talking about it but if I look at small time step.
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting article. Looking at equation (2.1) we have no correlation between r and the other terms, so the Sheppard approach could be applied in a splitting framework. Has anyone done this?

A question on boundary conditions: if I wish to solve 2.8 numerically, can we use the same BConditions as one would use in CIR; Do we need to take the Feller condition into consideration?
prospero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting work can also be found here
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~kihout/pub.html

[/url]
Taras

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see. For a FDM scheme we want to have a non-singular M-matrix so that we have a monotonic scheme. The presence of mixed derivatives will not (in general) give us the M-matrix we want.

I will look into this more.

Taras
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taras,
Here is a discussion precisely on the points you ask about. Hope this helps.

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=34&threadid=49248

In he FDM book we use Janenko's approach for mixed derivatives.

Craig-Sneyd is in fact a splitting method. I have not used it but it seems to be good.
Taras

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Mixed Derivatives with FDM schemes Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I am looking into his work.

In different texts and papers, it is mentioned that the mixed derivative is problematic, but the reason is not explained. Page 6 of the attached paper talks about a desired form (strictly diagonally dominant with positive diagonal and non-positive off-diagonal elements) of a matrix needed for stability reasons. Discretizations with mixed derivatives do not lead to such a matrix. Is this the issue at hand or is there more that you can tell me?

I also just got your book, so I will look through. In it, I see that you have Yanenko's scheme.

What is your experience with Craig-Sneyd? It is not one of the methods listed, but I saw that you teach it in your course.

Thanks,
Taras

P.S. I may be chiming in with C# questions/comments during the summer.

Operator Splitting - Ikonen and Toivanen.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Operator Splitting - Ikonen and Toivanen.pdf
 Filesize:  235.58 KB
 Downloaded:  224 Time(s)

Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taras,
R. Sheppard has done an excellent piece of work in this area. He has 4th and 5th order covergence using

- exponential fitting
- Soviet splitting
- extrapolated Euler (thus, NO Crank Nicolson)
- Yanenko's scheme for mixed derivatives

He has proved convergence/stability + extensive numerical tests

http://datasimfinancial.com/frm/viewtopic.php?t=101

Last edited by Cuchulainn on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Taras

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Numerics for cross derivative term in PDE Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

For some reason I did not see you reply until today. And I see that you replied quite a while ago, sorry.

Actually, for what I am working on, PDE for the value of a derivative in a diffusion for stock and Vasicek interest rates, there is a paper by Deakin and Mallier (can be googled) on Green's function for the constant coefficient case. There are some bugs in the paper, but the authors are working on a revision and I have corrected some (or hopefully all) myself. In my case, I have non-constant coefficients, but if I look at small time step, I can pretend constant.

But, as a follow-up, a general question on a parabolic PDE with a cross derivative term. For numerical solutions we want to not have this term (e.g., do a transform) for finite differences or something else. Is there an approach for a solution that you would recommend? Is there a good source for reading about different options for handling the cross derivative term? All texts that I have seen avoid talking about it like a plague.

I have not looked at you FDM book yet.

Thanks,
Taras
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Taras,
I think that Alan Lewis might be a good source. Do you know his books?

Do you have a link URL to the work?
Taras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Green's function for Parabolic PDEs Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I suppose that this is more of a PDE question, but ultimately some numerical analysis will be used.

I have a 2nd order pde on my hands for a density in stock and interest rate in time. I need to step through this pde forward and update one of the coefficients.

The initial density is a delta function and I tried anothe transform so that I have a normal initially, but it is still too thin and steep. So, finite differences are difficult. I would need to integrate over this density, so I would need some specialized mesh.

So, I am turning to Green's functions and I will try to get a closed form. Does anyone know of a good book with many examples of Green's functions, especially applicable to finance? Or, if there is some work that has been done with Green's functions for 2nd order pdes (with 2 or more state variables), please let me know, so that I do not reinvent the wheel Smile

Thanks,

Taras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Numerical Analysis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: