Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRC Checksums and Time-outs sample code won't compile or run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Introduction to the Boost C++ Libraries - Volume II (Demming/Duffy)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author CRC Checksums and Time-outs sample code won't compile or run
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed answer, Robert.

Compiler differences it looks like? OP can now try this out.

Daniel
robert2098

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CRC Checksums and Time-outs sample code won't compile or Reply with quote

Hi abl,

Thanks for reporting the problem.

abl wrote:

Beep() is a Windows function, but I'm running on Linux. I know how to make noise on Linux with echo, but I don't need that to see the program work. I comment out the lines with Beep() in them:

Yes, the Beep function is a Windows function and is used so you can hear that a keep alive is received. You can safely comment it out.

abl wrote:

The compiler can't find toupper. That is not a problem because I can live without a translation to upper case as evidence that a message reached the server.

Actually the problem is that the compiler finds two overloads of "toupper()". One in <locale> with two arguments and one in <cctype> with one argument. When passing the "toupper()" function (function pointer) as argument to the "transform()" function the GNU compiler can't deduct that the version with one argument is meant while the Visual C++ compiler can. The solution is to wrap the call to toupper() in another function that has no conflict.
Thus add the following code to the "Server.hpp" file in the ASyncConnectionMt class:

Code:

// There are two toupper() functions, one in <locale> and one in <cctype>.
   // When passing a pointer to the toupper() function to the std::transform() function,
   // the GNU g++ compiler can't choose which function to take and gives a compiler error. Microsoft Visual C++ can take the right version.
   // By wrapping it in another function
   static char myToUpper(char c)
   {
      return std::toupper(c);
   }

And replace the line with the "transform()" function with:

Code:

std::transform(str.begin(), str.end(), str.begin(), &ASyncConnectionMt::myToUpper);

abl wrote:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
what(): basic_string::_S_create

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
Aborted

This is caused in how the GNU and Visual C++ compilers differ in handling the length of data types in 64bit code. With the transition to 64bit code Microsoft explicitly kept the length of integer data types the same for compatibility reasons. Thus under both 32 and 64 bit Visual C++ compilers and 32 bit GNU compiler the data type have the following lengths:
short = 16 bit
int = 32 bit
long = 32 bit
long long = 64 bit

But under Linux/GNU, the 64 bit compilers changed the length of data types to:
short = 16 bit
int = 32 bit
long = 64 bit
long long = 64 bit

This caused a problem in building the byte array from the message data for sending a message over the network because it assumed a long was 32 bit.
The solution is to find and replace all the "long"s in the "Message.hpp" file by 'int32_t' which is normally defined in <stdint.h> header file. But this header file is not included in Visual C++ 2008 and lower but luckily it is also defined in the boost libraries <boost/cstdint.hpp> so with boost applications it should also work under older Visual C++ version.

I hope I've answered your questions and that this solves your problems.

Regards,

Robert
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. And thanks again for the feedback.

For Volume III (libs, design and applications) we will deliver the code for both linux and Windows.
abl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We ran the program on Windows and it works fine. Seems like a buffer problem you are experiencing.

Of course, it ran fine under Windows! I wouldn't expect anything less.

That is what you wrote it for; is it not? :)

Try compiling, linking, and running it under any 64-bit Linux distribution with a recent version of Boost installed by hand instead using whatever old version the distribution's repository may have.

Quote:
We'll get back on this issue.

Thank you for the attention that you are giving to this matter.
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran the program on Windows and it works fine. Seems like a buffer problem you are experiencing.

We'll get back on this issue.
abl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
> We are not familar with, and do not support CentOS.

As I wrote in my original post, CentOS is essentially RedHat -- with GNU g++ 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4).

CentOS is built from all the RedHat sources that are not proprietary to RedHat. Thus, CentOS provides the stability of RedHat without RedHat's fees.

If you support RedHat Linux, you already support CentOS.

Do you support RedHat Linux?

Do you support any Linux systems, or does your example code run only on Windows?

Quote:
So my question does this boost library support the OS or is it an application error from the book?

Boost.org's page http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_52_0.html lists only compilers under Linux not distributions of Linux. The answer to your question is yes my OS is supported under that version of Boost.

In that list, GCC 4.4.3 appears; because my compiler is GNU g++ 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4), I would say that my compiler is also supported by that version of Boost.

It's not the library, not the OS, not the compiler: There is a bug in the example program.

It is clear from its reliance on a Windows only function, Beep(), that it has been compiled, linked, and run only on Windows, but as my original post makes clear, the problems go beyond merely that.

Quote:
Can you run it under Windows as well?

No, I haven't tried because I haven't had a copy of Windows since 1986. It was a less than useful Windows 2 as I recall.

Quote:
If it is giving problems we will fix it.

It is clearly not being compiled, linked, or running at all.

I would describe that as giving problems.

Please, fix it.
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not familar with, and do not support CentOS. So my question does this boost library support the OS or is it an application error from the book?

Can you run it under Windows as well? If it is giving problems we will fix it.
abl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: CRC Checksums and Time-outs sample code won't compile or run Reply with quote

The sample code from book 2, chapter 10, section 6, CRC Checksums and Time-outs fails to compile or even run under CentOS release 6.3 (Final) -- CentOS is essentially RedHat -- with GNU g++ 4.4.6 20120305 (Red Hat 4.4.6-4) and with BOOST_VERSION 105200 and BOOST_LIB_VERSION "1_52" from Boost version.hpp:

Code:
[user@host current_pathname]$ g++ -g -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/boost -L/usr/local/lib -lboost_locale -lboost_thread Main.cpp
In file included from Main.cpp:15:
Client.hpp: In member function ‘void Client::HandleReadHeader(Client::MessagePtr, const boost::system::error_code&)’:
Client.hpp:211: error: ‘Beep’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from Main.cpp:15:
Client.hpp: In member function ‘void Client::StartSendHeartbeat()’:
Client.hpp:348: error: ‘Beep’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from Main.cpp:16:
Server.hpp: In member function ‘void ASyncConnectionMt::HandleReadBody(ASyncConnectionMt::MessagePtr, const boost::system::error_code&)’:
Server.hpp:192: error: no matching function for call to ‘transform(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, <unresolved overloaded function type>)’
[user@host current_pathname]$

Beep() is a Windows function, but I'm running on Linux. I know how to make noise on Linux with echo, but I don't need that to see the program work. I comment out the lines with Beep() in them:
Code:
[user@host current_pathname]$ grep -n Beep *.[ch]pp
Client.hpp:211:         Beep(1400, 200);
Client.hpp:348:      Beep(700, 200);
and recompile:
Code:
[user@host current_pathname]$ g++ -g -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/boost -L/usr/local/lib -lboost_locale -lboost_thread Main.cpp
In file included from Main.cpp:16:
Server.hpp: In member function ‘void ASyncConnectionMt::HandleReadBody(ASyncConnectionMt::MessagePtr, const boost::system::error_code&)’:
Server.hpp:192: error: no matching function for call to ‘transform(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, <unresolved overloaded function type>)’

The compiler can't find toupper. That is not a problem because I can live without a translation to upper case as evidence that a message reached the server. I comment out that line, and the compiler runs error free and links a binary.

I run the binary and type 2 to get the server running:
Code:
[user@host current_pathname]$ a.out
TCP networking example.

Debugging commands after connecting:
- ClientHeartbeatOn
- ServerHeartbeatOn
- ClientHeartbeatOff
- ServerHeartbeatOff
- ClientSendCrcError
- ServerSendCrcError

1. Client
2. Server
Choice: 2
(thread id: 7f8a09f3e720) Listening to TCP socket on port 60000...

That is excellent! Encouraged, I start the client and watch it fail:
Code:
TCP networking example.

- ClientHeartbeatOn
- ServerHeartbeatOn
- ClientHeartbeatOff
- ServerHeartbeatOff
- ClientSendCrcError
- ServerSendCrcError

1. Client
2. Server
Choice: 1
Enter the host to connect to (empty=localhost):

Debugging commands:
- ClientHeartbeatOff
- ClientHeartbeatOn
- ServerHeartbeatOff
- ServerHeartbeatOn
- ClientSendCrcError
- ServerSendCrcError

Connecting to 127.0.0.1:60000...
Connected to 127.0.0.1:60000

Enter text to send:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
  what():  basic_string::_S_create
  Aborted

Longer text or one of the commands elicits a different error:
Code:
TCP networking example.

- ClientHeartbeatOn
- ServerHeartbeatOn
- ClientHeartbeatOff
- ServerHeartbeatOff
- ClientSendCrcError
- ServerSendCrcError

1. Client
2. Server
Choice: 1
Enter the host to connect to (empty=localhost):

Debugging commands:
- ClientHeartbeatOff
- ClientHeartbeatOn
- ServerHeartbeatOff
- ServerHeartbeatOn
- ClientSendCrcError
- ServerSendCrcError

Connecting to 127.0.0.1:60000...
Connected to 127.0.0.1:60000

Enter text to send:
ServerHeartbeatOff
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
  Aborted

Please post a working copy of that sample program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Introduction to the Boost C++ Libraries - Volume II (Demming/Duffy) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: