Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to break into finance ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Contact
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author How to break into finance ?
alex111

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulainn wrote:
Alex,
I am not an expert on jobs nor HH but I would say: how is your maths and finance(have you read Hull?)

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply.

I have studied maths both at the college(maths+physics) and university(math applied to economics/finance) and loved them(I were pretty good at them, actually) but I graduated 10 years ago, so I am no longer in shape with statistics,Markov chains,probability,partial differential equations etc.I am out of practice but I believe I have a "math mind"(I mean I am confortable wirh "abstract thinking".That is why I always prefer jobs asking for programming at an abstract level---"Program to an interface not an implementation"(GOF)--e.g framework development)
But I noticed also jobs asking for no previous finance experience but multithreading,sockets,STL,Boost.I guess these are non-quantitative jobs.
What if I get first into non-quant jobs(but still finance area) and progressively move to quant development, learning/refreshing along the way financial maths ?

Thank you
Cuchulainn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I am not an expert on jobs nor HH but I would say: how is your maths and finance(have you read Hull?)

Daniel
alex111

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: How to break into finance ? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I wish you all a happy new year 2010.

This is Alex, a C++/C# developer for +5 years.

Here is my problem:
I have been trying to break into financial software development(trading systems etc) for 2 years but didn't succeed.
There were some UK recruiters(financial services) interested in my experience and skills but unfortunately, thier clients were asking for a work permit.There were also some others asking for a previous finance experience that obviously I don't have.
I have a good job for the moment(C++ Software Engineer,Sophia Antipolis,Southern France) but I am not really satisfied with it.I believe finance offers to me a better environement for puting at work my skills(multithreading,sockets,C++ Generic Programming(C++ Templates are very powerfull at the design level),Design Patterns(GOF),Boost,STL etc)

What should I do for making my dream of working in finance coming true ?

Any real interest in helping me is highly appreciated

Thank you
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Datasim Financial Forums Forum Index -> Contact All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: