Excel Object Model - advice

Excel Object Model - advice

Postby agolub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi

I'm new to C++, but I'm working very hard to improve my skills. Recently I came to an idea that I would like to put my data to an .xls file, rather to a plain .txt file, where I cant really control what is being put where. My first thought was to download some library where someone else did all the "dirty" work, and indeed I found a few good ones (I particularly like this one:

LibXL). But the drawbacks were I needed to purchase the complete version.

I found out about Excel Object Model and it seemed appealing for a beginner. But the major problem is that I cant find simple enough manual or a reference. The one on msdn website http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wss56bz7%28VS.80%29.aspx, in my opinion is a complete disaster, since I cant tell apart whats important and whats not. All in need are some pointers, on how to open a xls file, write in cells, go through sheets and so on.

I would be grateful if someone can provide an reference/manual for beginners, or point me in the right direction.

Anton
agolub

Postby Cuchulainn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 pm

C++ Excel documentation is not easy.

If you only want to send data to Excel, that's easy. For example, see my C++ 2006 book.

If you want to create COM Addins then you need other tools.

It depennds on what you want exactly.

BTW if you are new to C++ I would learn C++ properly; C++/Excel is advanced.
Cuchulainn

Postby alon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 am

informative..:)
alon

Return to C++ Student Questions and Answers