intro to C++ boost vol. II

Volume II - Advanced Libraries

intro to C++ boost vol. II

Postby paweljakubas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:48 am

Hi,

When the second volume is going to be on sale?

Compared to the first preview, the suggested Contents does not contain for example Statechart and Meta State. Are you planing Vol. III? :D Or some book solely dedicated to parallel programming in c++? :)

Best regards,

Pawel

Warsaw (Poland)
paweljakubas

Postby admin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Pawel,

Volume II is shipping December 2011/January 2012.

Volume III is applications, including Meta State.
admin
Site Admin

can I buy it now?

Postby paweljakubas » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi,

Is Vol. II going to be on sale before February 2012? Can I plan to work on it with my students and coworkers in Spring semester 2012 or it is more secure to include it in Winter semester 2012/2013?

I found Vol. I really useful, and I look forward to seeing more advanced staff :D

What is the first glimpse of the contents of Vol III?

Best regards,

Pawel

Warsaw (Poland)
paweljakubas

Postby admin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Volume III will contain State machines.
admin
Site Admin

A proposal concerning the sample programs for books 1 and 2

Postby abl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I have obtained the zip files that contain the example programs for books 1 and 2.

While both sets of files are partitioned into chapters and sections that correspond to the books, and each collection comes with a Microsoft Visual C++ project file for each chapter, there is one major, vexing, glaring omission: There are no Makefiles!

Because Boost may find many applications in the segment of the market where server co-location in well connected data centers -- specially in finance -- is dominated by Linux and the GNU g++ compiler, you ought to include at the very least complete makefiles for book 3, and retroactively, for books 1 and 2.
abl

Postby Cuchulainn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Most of the projects are reasonably small so I think to create a make file is not a lot of work.

There are many kinds of developers, so we always have to make a choice on where to employ resources.

Up until now I got the feeling that most developers are writing desktop applications.

I would certainly be interested in hearing if readers are using linux a lot.
Cuchulainn

Postby abl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Most of the projects are reasonably small so I think to create a make file is not a lot of work.

You are correct that writing a makefile for a small project is not difficult specially in the case of Boost which is implemented mostly as header files.

Most of the work in writing a makefile is in determining where Boost is installed on a computer and using that pathname to tell the compiler where to find the Boost header files.

However, the devil is in the details. If a project, however small it may be, should require linking with a Boost or even a system library, determining the correct library is a bit more difficult. You can try trial and error, you can try using nm and c++filt on every Boost library, you can select the correct library because its name looks right, or you can get lucky.

None of those choices are optimal when one's goal is to understand how a complicated set of objects is put together and how they may best be put to use in one's problem domain.

That is why I asked for makefiles for the future and retroactively for the existing sets of examples for Books 1 and 2.

... we always have to make a choice on where to employ resources.

That is an excuse that doesn't pan out well in 2013 when there are multiple platforms for accomplishing the same tasks. If you are concerned about the allocation of meager resources, please don't publish Microsoft Visual C++ project files that are useless to all who don't use Windows. Instead, put the instructions only in text files: This project requires the following libraries... and because everybody will have to find the pathname for the header files, you're done!

Let everybody work equally hard at getting your example code to run on his or her system. I will write makefiles. Others will define project files. In addition to being egalitarian, that would also be much less work for you, and every reader would have equally ready access to the necessary information that is needed to compile, link, and run your helpful little projects.
abl

Postby Cuchulainn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Since you asked nice we will give makefiles for Volume III.

BTW my remark was not meant as an excuse. As said, many of the developers seem to be working on Windows, so there needs to be good reasons for other platforms.

I will put up a few balloons and see what the response is! There is at least one interested user.
Cuchulainn

When Vol. III

Postby paweljakubas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi,

When do you expect to publish Vol. III. Could you deliver approximate table of contents?

Best regards,

Pawel (Warsaw, Poland)
paweljakubas

Postby Cuchulainn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:02 am

Hi

The TOC is http://www.datasimfinancial.com/forum/v ... .php?t=510

I will let you know about detailed plans when things become more clear.
Cuchulainn

Return to Introduction to the Boost C++ Libraries - Volume II (Demming/Duffy)